Donkey & Goat Ramato Pinot Gris
Grown at the Biodynamic Filigreen Farm, Andersen Valley
"My favorite thing about this wine isn’t that it’s the Italian word for red-haired person. Nor is it because Pinot Gris is seldom seen wearing its skin so proudly. In my chicken scratch notes over a lunch of backyard pizza, it reads, “Tracey loves the mulberry tree.” Because in the time of urban Covid, you can hardly remember a tree so exotic. It’s a wine that jogs your memory of the passing of time because the Ramato can trace back two deviated life courses. The 750ml Ramato’s twin is bottled in a heftier Magnum bottle. The one you hold in your hand is from free-run juices before the rest of the wine is pressed. Despite your expectations of the free-run juices to yield a softer wine, this Ramato holds a potent grip on your attention. Not for those who live life unexamined.
This wine makes you pucker like biting into a barely-ripe apricot. Scented of preserved orange rind and woody like a mushroom foraging adventure. It tastes like hibiscus tea and blood orange, lemon pith and salt. Pairs well with wild pheasant, foraged mushrooms and Rachmaninov’s third movement in Cello Concerto in G Minor."
- Appellation: Anderson Valley
- Vineyard: Filigreen Farm (biodynamic)
- Varietal: Pinot Gris
- Clone: Clone 4 & 152 on 5BB
- Age: Planted 2001
- Elevation: 400 feet
- Soil: Alluvial with gravel & clay loam
- Harvested: September 11, 2019
- Crushed: September 11, 2019
- Pressed: September 17, 2019
- Maceration: Up to 6 days in Nomblot concrete
- Fermentation: Wild yeast & bacteria in neutral French oak barrels
- Barrel aging: 8 months in neutral French oak barrels
- Bottled: Unfiltered on June 15, 2020
- Production: 528 cases
No reviews found...